BSSC Council Meeting and Symposium on 2020 NEHRP Provisions
Mar 4, 2021 | 11:30 AM – 5:30 PM ET
Developed by the National Institute of Building Sciences Building Seismic Safety Council (BSSC) Provisions Update Committee (PUC) for the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), the NEHRP Recommended Seismic Provisions for New Buildings and Other Structures (NEHRP Provisions) help translate new knowledge and recent research results for improving national standards and codes. The Provisions are a state-of-art resource and reference document for design professionals and standard and code-development organizations.
Join us on March 4, 2021 for the BSSC Council Meeting to celebrate the completion of the 2020 NEHRP Provisions (FEMA P-2082)-10th edition and recognize our distinguished industry leaders for advancing seismic safety. This will be an opportunity to learn about the Council’s activities and what we aspire for the future.
Following the BSSC Council meeting, the BSSC Symposium on 2020 NEHRP Provisions will present recommended changes to ASCE/SEI 7-16 Minimum Design Loads and Associated Criteria for Buildings and Other Structures. These changes may significantly impact future seismic design of buildings. The symposium also will present a report on the PUC identified unresolved issues and recommended future topics and research needs.
Most of the recommended changes in the Provisions are expected to be accepted by ASCE/SEI 7-22. The standard will be adopted by reference in the 2024 International Building Code.
- Learn the most important code change proposals regarding future seismic design requirements for buildings
- Provide input to help improve future seismic design and research
- Earn Professional Development Hours (PDHs)
FEMA NEHRP Earthquake Program
The National Earthquake Hazards Reduction Program (NEHRP) is the federal government’s coordinated approach to addressing earthquake risks. FEMA provides community support and helps to translate new knowledge and research results into code resource and earthquake mitigation guidance documents. The following are some recent FEMA NEHRP publications. For more information or other resources, please also check FEMA NEHRP at National Earthquake Hazards Reduction Program | FEMA.gov
- FEMA P-2156_The Role of the NEHRP Recommended Seismic Provisions in the Development of Nationwide Seismic Building Code Regulations: A Thirty-Five Year Retrospective Download
- FEMA Seismic Building Codes in the U.S. A Thirty-Five Year Retrospective of NEHRP Provisions Download
- FEMA P-2082-1 2020 NEHRP Recommended Seismic Provisions for New Buildings and Other Structures, Vol 1 & 2 Provisions & Commentary Download
- FEMA P-2082-2 2020 NEHRP Recommended Seismic Provisions for New Buildings and Other Structures, Vol 3 Resource Papers Download
- FEMA P-2078 Procedures for Developing Multi-Period Response Spectra at Non-Conterminous United States Sites Download
- FEMA P-2139 Short Period Building Collapse Performance and Recommendations for Improving Seismic Design
- FEMA P-2139-1 Overarching Findings, Conclusions and Recommendations Download
- FEMA P-2139-2 Study of One-to-Four Story Wood Light-Frame Buildings Download
- FEMA P-2139-3 Study of One-to-Four Story Special Reinforced Masonry Shear Wall Buildings Download
- FEMA P-2139-4 Study of One-to-Four Story Steel Concentrically Braced Frame Buildings Download
- FEMA FACT SHEET_seismic-building-code-provisions-new-buildings-create-safer-communities_fact-sheet Download
- FEMA P-2090/NIST SP-1254 Recommended Options for Improving the Built Environment for Post-Earthquake Reoccupancy and Functional Recovery Time Download
- FEMA P-2091 A Practical Guide to Soil-Structure Interaction Download
- FEMA P-749 Earthquake Resistant Design Concept – An Introduction to the NEHRP Provisions Download
- FEMA New EQ Pubs Download
Jiqiu (JQ) Yuan
Multi-Hazard Mitigation and Building Seismic Safety Council,
National Institute of Building Sciences